Thursday 31 January 2013

OUGD405: End of module self evaluation.





  1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I think that first and foremost I have learnt to take the time to really research into my subject, and use this research to inform my design decisions. I have thought more about what media, ideas, formats are appropriate for the pieces of work I am completing, I think this shows particularly in the 3 week brief we completed. I have become more ambitious with materials instead of staying away from them, experimenting with a varied range of stock, including acetate and printing ribbons. I have explored functionality more within this module, learning that first and foremost design must be functional and well communicated in order to be successful. I have also learnt, that when designing, I should keep the brief close by as a constant reminder of my aims, and to not stray away from the brief and design a product that although may look great, does not stray away from the brief, which is useful for work in the future working to the clients wants.


  1. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
I have developed working with print in this module, mostly digital print. I have experimented with printing on alternate materials, some which I have found successful and can be used for future projects. I have took an approach to design that is much more well informed to previous work I have completed. I have learnt to research a subject widely, often going off on tangents as this may inform my original research subject. I have also looked into more possibilities of design, drawing up initial ideas, and freely changing these to reflect feedback that I have been given by my co peers and others involved with graphic design. I have created mock ups and experimented printing on different paper stock, where as before I would automatically stick to a stock I was comfortable with using. I think the experimentation and experience of working with other materials through the module, and the methods such as vast research is making me into a more well rounded designer.






3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
I think something that shows in my work is a large sense of thought, from being handed the brief to submitting work. I think my main    strength that has appeared in this module Is my want to be more knowledgable. I think that for each brief we have completed I have a strong breadth of research which has essentially underpinned everything we have completed in this module. I also think that I have managed my time better, although the 3 weeks that we had also allowed my to complete ongoing work, It also gave me the time to really cull my research, experiment, and evolve within the brief, fulfilling it to a point where I was quite happy with what I have designed. As a pose to other briefs where we would, research, experiment and design within a week.



  1. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?


I think that I still need to experiment with other materials, I would have liked to try screen printing during this module however I stuck with using digital print as I know this is what I am comfortable in using. I think towards the start of the module there is a lack of wanting to create more than one possible outcome – initial designs, however towards the end of the module I have designed more freely and designed a range of design outcomes. In order to combat these issues in the future, I would book time slots effectively for screen printing, leaving myself enough time to iron out any mistakes that may arise, and for thorough research and planning. I will also plan out a time scale in which I can complete the three week brief in a shorter amount of time, to ensure that I can work to shorter deadlines more effectively, for industry and the rest of the year/course.







5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

  1. Try out screen printing – gaining another skill in print and becoming more considerate to other printing techniques.
  2. Experiment with hand rendered ideas and then import these into adobe for further visual investigation to create a broader range of technique, as hand rendering is also one of my strong points.
  3. Experiment with stock effectively early in the process, so that I can decided the pallete of colours and text etc, appropriate to the stock.
  4. Create a process in which I can complete the thorough 3 week brief in a smaller time scale so I am more prepared for industry.
  5. To practise and work more with photoshop to gain a wider knowledge on how to edit photos, so I can work more comfortably with the program and also use my own photos for work where possible.





6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’)

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor


12345
Attendance







x
Punctuality







x
Motivation





x

Commitment







x
Quantity of work produced





x

Quality of work produced





x

Contribution to the group





x

The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is    essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment