Wednesday 17 April 2013

OUGD404: Self Evaluation.



BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
04
Module Code
OUGD403




Module Title
DESIGN SKILLS



END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME





1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
I have learnt skills that include things such as critical thinking, and appreciation of the design process. I have learnt the building blocks of design and how to apply them to my own work. This includes an umbrella of elements such as, how to use type efficiently and appropriately through a range of typography orientated tasks. Learning of colour theory, not only how colour should/can be used, but how the eye perceives colour and what these entail. Understanding of this is evident through class sessions and tasks such as colour theory experiments. I have also learnt how to construct grids, and how to experiment with these to achieve successful layouts. Each of these elements have applied to a book, 10 things you need to know about graphic design. I have learnt patience when designing, realising that if things are to be designed, and successfully done so, I must follow the set of guidelines and consider each of the elements I have been taught about when designing.


2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

- To consider how text is used, what typefaces portray what meaning, what typefaces are appropriate to the subject, and the relevant point size and line length. 

- To consider what the colours I am choosing promote, and how they work together/ effect each other.

- To choose appropriate layouts, combinations of image and text, that will accentuate the function of the piece, how to experiment with these grids in  order to create more exciting layouts. And how to use fundamentals such as the rule of thirds and cannons by van der graaf, also how these can be used simultaneously to produce more precise layouts.  





3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I think my work shows that I pick things up very easily, yet continue to research into subject in order to appreciate the whole extent of the subject. A patience of working with the tools that I have been taught, and investigating which of these tools will be appropriate for my work. I also believe there Is a clear link between what I have been taught, my own investigations and my final work produced.



4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

I have a tendency to skip ahead and then go back to tasks, which I then have to pick up later which does not show good project management and means I often have to complete the tasks alongside other work. In future I will make sure to complete each task as soon as they are given. I also think that I could benefit from further investigation and practicing what I have been taught.


5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
-  Take experiments further and back this up with further research that has not been requested.

- Create/ practice a further investigation of design ideas, in order to create a more considered/ justified concept or design. 

- Completing tasks as soon as they are set, combining this with class work, so that I have less to worry about when I get home. 

- Research further into concepts, so that I do not only understand what I have been asked, but have an in depth knowledge and can talk freely about the subject.

- Fully plan any design work according to the elements I have learnt to ensure my final product is fully justified. 




















6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’)

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor





5
Attendance
5








Punctuality
5








Motivation
3








Commitment
4








Quantity of work produced
3








Quality of work produced
4








Contribution to the group
4








The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment