Monday 24 February 2014

OUGD505: Yankee candle publication - Page size and box net.

In terms of ratios, I wanted to keep the same shape of the book inspired products currently distributed by Yankee candle, but scale it down to be more appropriate for my amount of content. 



The box shown above is of portrait format and slightly bigger than A4. This box is much too large for the amount of content I have and therefore I think it would be more appropriate to scale the size down to A5, however keeping the classic portrait shape. 


Inside pages size:


I could then work out how big the cover would be as I am planning to case bind the book. I need to leave a 3mm overlap on each edge so that the pages do not peek through the outside edges of the front and back cover. 

Case bind dimensions:
This then gave me enough information so that I could start create a true to size net for my box and begin designing. I decided to create the tray inside the box which would hold the book to be 3mm bigger on all edges to ensure that if the book bind was to take up more room, the book would still fit comfortably inside the tray.  

Tray base dimensions:


Box base dimensions:


For the spine (depth) of the box I am not able to give an exact measurement, as I am not sure how thick the book will be until it has been produced. As I am not able to calculate the depth of all my pages plus the case bind. For this reason I decided to create a depth of spine that would be aesthetically appropriate for the a5 format (box is slightly larger) which was a 30mm depth. 



I know that looking at 30mm this depth is much larger than the spine of the book will be, however I can rectify this by making a shallow cuboid to place in the bottom of the tray so that the depth of the book + cuboid = depth of the tray.

Below is the front and back cover as well as the spine (depth of the box) that I have to play with for the design.











No comments:

Post a Comment