Sunday 23 March 2014

OUGD505: Yankee candle - Construction of box and evaluation.

Yankee candle. 
Construction of box. 

Unfortunately the original box that I printed on mount board did not work well, the material choice to use mount board was not great as mount board is not a very flexible material and so when I tried to create the bends in the book box I designed the hinges snapped and the box began to fall apart. 






Therefore I had to think of a new way to engineer the box to create easy hinges and bends. The way in which I thought to do this was to create my book like box, as you would a normal book. 




To bind a book cover, you have to take 3 pieces of grey board (front cover, spine and back cover) and wrap this in bookram that has a border, so that when wrapped around the grey board it over laps onto the other side. 

A piece of paper slightly smaller than the original piece is stuck onto the reverse side (inside) of the book cover to cover up the overlaps. I will do this in plain red card to match the aesthetic of the book. 

I will then create the box inside the book cover that will hold the actual publication. Previously on the old net I tried to attach it to the rest of the box to the book cover, however this was not really practical. Therefore I will create the box separately and stick this to the inside of the book.

Today I worked on finalising the design of my project so that I could move on to studio brief 2. I reprinted my box so that I could remake it using the method/process as described above. 

When constructing the new box I had:
- New front cover printed on flexible card.
- grey board cut for front cover, back cover and spine. 
- red card cut down to stick over the inside. 
- logo to stick on inside cover. 
- cut out of box net to stick on inside panel of back cover. 

Unfortunately I did not take pictures of the new process constructing the newly engineered box, as I was too into making sure that this box went right after the last one went wrong to stop and take pictures in between. 

To begin the process of constructing the box I took the three pieces of cut out grey board and masking taped them together to create a hinge, to make sure the box would open and close easily. once this was done I 
cut out the new front cover that would wrap around the 3 pieces of grey board to size. I then scored on the correct lines so that it would bend round the grey board.

I applied this to the grey board using PVA glue as this would allow me to manoeuvre the cover into place without drying instantly. Once I had the cover stuck to the front sides of the grey board, I used a bone folder to help press the cover into the hinges of the spine for a smooth finish. With this in place, I glued the sections of the front cover that were bigger than the grey board over the other side onto the inside cover of the grey board. 

After leaving this to dry I then covered the inside covers (front back and spine) in the piece of red card I had cut down. This would make the box look a lot tidier and cover up the overlapping paper from the front cover. 

Once dry I then glued into place the logo which I had printed out separately, so that the inside covers/area would have some reference to the back and the front of the box. 

The last step I did was scoring, folding and gluing the box net together which would hold the book itself. Once I had glued this together, I stuck it down to the inside panel of the back cover, using a stronger glue so that it would not fall away. 


Old product in comparison to new product:



FINAL PIECE:









Evaluation.

I am much happier with the overall finish of this box in comparison to the first, the improvement in my craft skills and the craft of the box is so easily viewable when looking at the difference between the two in photos. This has helped me realise how important stock is to a project, as well as important elements to consider such as Engineering of a product at the beginning of a project to make sure it will definitely work, and the details it will take to do so. I am very pleased with the end product as it has the exact aesthetic I was looking for when I first designed the packaging, although it is not glossy like many of the other previous Yankee candle book products, I don't think this affects its likeliness to the rest of the brand as its quality and design is what makes it adhere to the Yankee candle brand. I also like how the new box formation rings true to the idea of traditional books which Is what I based the box design upon, I created the box via binding 3 pieces of grey board together in a book formation, this refers to traditional book design much more than the previous design made solely of one piece of mount board. To further this idea I would have liked to print not only the cover of the box, but the cover of the book on fabric as I believe this would have brought an even more tactile and authentic experience to the book and box.  


No comments:

Post a Comment