Sunday 23 March 2014

Illustrations and photographs.

As in Yankee candle design they mostly use photography within their branding, I decided that I would inkeep within this by using photography as my main source of imagery within the book. However also noting that Yankee candle have been branching out and using illustration, I will use this method within my book for images which I cannot find photographs for and for those which are not appropriate. 

I made a list of the photographs that I would need for each page, and then the remaining illustrations. 


The History of Yankee Candle:

Content: Describing how the company first began, from the first candle, to the first store and to becoming America's best love scented candle brand. 
Left page: Illustration of first candle Kitteridge made out of melted crayons which sparked the Yankee candle company.
Right page: Photography of outside and inside of a Yankee candle store. 

The success of Yankee candle:

Content: Focuses on the large selection of scents available at Yankee candle and what is special about the brand.
Left page: Images of the 5 fragrance groups. (logo/motifs) already used by the brand. 
Right page: Image/ illustration of Yankee candle logo. 

Yankee candles most popular products:

Content: Lists yankee candles 8 most popular scented candles and every product available for purchase at Yankee candle.
Left page: Photographs of 4 most popular products. 
Right page: Photographs of 4 most popular products. 

The effects of scented candles:

Content: Describes how different scents/combinations of scents can help relieve and alleviate problems.
Left page: Two illustrations of candle scents. 
Right page: Two illustrations of candle scents.

Fun facts about Yankee Candle:

Content: Two fun facts about Yankee candle.
No illustrations or photographs - Purely text based.  

How Yankee candles are made:

Content: Shows and describes how Yankee candles are made.
Left page: Illustration of glass and wax. 
Right page: Illustration of colour, scent and wick. 

Yankee candle for everyone!:

Content: Describes how Yankee candle have produced candles to attract other audiences than their main targets, and activities for other audiences to take part in at the main Yankee candle stores.
Left page: Photo of man candles. 
Right page: Photos of Yankee candle village, Hand wax mould, dip your own candle. 

Yankee candle through the years:

Content: How the Yankee candle has adapted and evolved to grow with its constantly modernising audience.
Left page: Old photo of Mike kitteredge at Yankee candle, 2x photos of jar candles. 
Right page: Photographs of miscellaneous Yankee candles that demonstrate how broad the company is in its current stage, and how it is attempting to branch out. 

List of illustrations I need to draw:


- Melted wax candle.

- 4 x the effects of scented candles (draw scents)
- The process of making yankee candles.

I didn't want my illustrations to take too much attention away from the photography but support the images instead. I also wanted the illustrations to take a somewhat traditional approach and so I made the decision to do them in black and white. 


I started by drawing up each of the illustrations with a drawing pen, I wanted the illustrations to have a very hand drawn, classic presence to fit in with the style of the book I had preconceived.




I then took the illustration into illustrator, and gave it a traditional watercolour look, by using the watercolour brush to add depth beneath the already existing outline. 


I carried on with this design process for my following illustrations. The next illustrations I needed to produce were the effects of scented candles page in which I talk about how certain scents can relieve symptoms of illnesses. Therefore I drew up illustrations of each of the scents it recommends; Spiced apple and berries for lowering blood pressure, Jasmine, lemon and camomile for relieving depression, Lavender, Sandalwood and vanilla to combat insomnia and finally, citrus fruits to boost the spirit.

Apple and berries:


Lavender, Sandalwood and vanilla:



Jasmine, lemon and camomile:




Citrus fruits:







The last set of illustrations I had to drew up were ones to indicate the process of producing a yankee candle. The journey from Glass jar, to wax, to colour, to scent, to wick. 





Yankee candle prides themselves on how bold and continuous the colours are inside their candles, ensuring that even when cut in half the colour is just as bold and strong in the centre as it is on the outside. At first I didn't know how to illustrate the idea of colour through a black and white drawing, however after thinking, it was very simple to come up with an idea that would simply indicate the continuity of colour throughout the candle, by illustrating a candle split in half with a unvarying coloured centre. 



In order to communicate scent, I drew an illustration of one of my favourite Yankee candle scents 'Paradise spice.' 






Now I have all the illustrations drawn up, I will cull the images I need fill in the rest of the gaps. I would have liked to have collected my own photographs, however there is not a chain Yankee candle store in the U.K, there is solely stockists, therefore I would not have been able to collect the photographs I needed to communicate the messages reflected in the text. I also would not have been able to cull my own photos of past Yankee candle special editions, and photos of the old Mike Kitteredge, and so the only way to represent the text properly was to find my photos from other sources.


History of Yankee candle:

- Outside Yankee candle shop.
- Inside Yankee candle stop. 






The success of Yankee candle:
- 5 fragrance groups.



The Yankee candles most popular products:
- 8 most popular products. (Images taken from official website)










Yankee candle for everyone!:
- Man candles. 
- Yankee candle village. 
- Yankee candle hand mould. 
- Dip your own Yankee candle. 















No comments:

Post a Comment