Thursday 3 April 2014

OUGD505: Movie Poster - Design research.

As I will be submitting my movie poster to the site Alternativemovieposters.com I decided to look at the posters which others had already submitted. 

As well as wanting to see the types of posters that they were looking for and that had been uploaded, I also thought this would help me understand the meaning and aesthetic of a movie poster. I also found that a lot of the posters use simple motifs to give a clue as to the movies purpose rather than try to communicate the full/main plot. 



I picked up on this Jaws poster to due to the use of minimal colour and the clever construction/format choices the designer has made. The designer has used 4 colours plus stock (white) and has thought cleverly about how shapes can be made using distinct and identifiable motifs from the film. 


The above poster Is for Wolf of wall street, and gives clever subtle hints to the movies events, and anyone who has seen the movie will be able to connect with what the designer has tried to communicate. The poster houses 3 simple images, cocaine lines, money and the american flag. The poster also uses 2 colours plus stock, showing that I can produce something effective with the limit of colours I have. 


I also found the jungle book poster to be a good reassurance of our colour limits. Here the designer has used two types of green and black to illustrate the story. I also found that using a very simple illustration, instead of trying to illustrate too many events/ a full plot can most times be more effective than the latter.


I again picked up on this Inception poster due to the consideration of shapes, taking a simple motif from the film (spinning top) and editing its outline to incorporate other motifs such as the skyline seen above. This poster is solely two colours including stock, however in order to give depth the designer has included using textures, which is something I could consider, if struggling with the limit of colours. 

 

 
The Charlie and the chocolate factor appealed to me as the designer had been able to create something so intricately detailed with such a small colour pallet. Instead of focusing on how to make the poster diverse through colour, they have focused on shape and detail. I have also noticed that the designer of this poster has added depth via texture also.


Again this despicable me poster produced displays how a simple motif from the movie, which would clearly be identifiable with those who have already seen the film is just as successful as something very detailed. It also shows how a small colour collection can be prosperous, and raises the question of could opacities be used to create a larger selection of shades of one colour?


I noticed the Snow white movie poster for the same reason that I noted The first Jaws and the inception movie poster. Using 3 colours, and carefully considering the idea of shape and silhouette, much like that in the Inception poster, the designer creates a straight forward and strong representation of the movie, whilst being tactically thoughtful. 


I was mainly attracted to this poster as it exhibits how only 2 colours (dark and medium teal) plus stock (white) can also be used to create a very detailed poster design. 



I found that this poster design was ultra simple, and picked one small motif which highlights an extremely important event. This is done also through a small colour pallet.

Other examples of the same calibre: 




No comments:

Post a Comment