Sunday 20 April 2014

OUGD505: Studio brief 2 - Illustration ideas and class critiques.

Now that I have the dimensions, I can start to plan the design that will grace the hexagonal boxes I have created. I will produce one design for each type of candle:
1 x Silent slumber design. 
1 x Kindled spirit. 
1 x Memories of joy. 
1 x Slow down. 

These 4 designs will then be adjusted and altered to fit the two different shaped boxes, small pillar candle and tea lights. 
I looked for inspiration at Yankee candles other named candles (ones which have not been named after the fragrances they with hold.) 

I was inspired to create illustrative designs inspired by landscapes. 

Silent slumber - Night time landscape. 
Kindled spirit - Sunrise.
Slow down - Beach landscape. 
 I'm not sure what other landscape to pair with 'Memories of joy' the candle used to relieve depression as I have already used those with positive and happy connotations, The beach and sunrise scenes. 

We do however Have a crit in 2 days and so I will ask peoples opinions on the last candles illustration inspiration there. 

I took my current work to the crit, all sketches, CAD diagrams, mock ups and the candles which I am creating packaging for. I asked my pears what landscape setting they felt could be well associated with a candle to relieve depression. I was also given general feedback on any other parts of my project. 

One:
- I might consider a safari or jungle, something with an animal running maybe? To show that it is joyful. I think the pillar box will make the candle look high end especially if It is finished with high quality stock. 
- Are you going to make the illustrations full bleed on the packaging with the logo/copy white over it? That might work well to show off the images. 
- Consider painting the landscapes yourself to make them more unique. 
- Also consider making a shelf unit, or some kind of integrated in store campaign to promote them.


Two:
- Memories of joy could be a landscape of spring flowers (daffodils, snow drops, blue bells, blossoms) Sprint time represents new beggingings, new life and fresh starts. It also provides a metaphor - Winter represents dark weather, nights and therefore a symbolic idea of depression, the spring represents the end of winter and the start of a brighter happier time. 


Three:
- I'd probably say something a like to the above, A bright atmosphere, fields of daffodils or daisies could be appropriate. 


Four: 
- A memory of joy would be something different to anyones subconscious which makes this difficult to answer, however I do find number two's opinion to be fitting and appropriate to many people.


Five:
- Agree with the previous comments something bright, fresh and clean so perhaps a beach landscape or a poppy field which i think look incredible. A landscape with a lot of florals or butterflies which symbolise new life. 
- Really lovely piece are you going to have a window in the box to show the candle, you could perhaps put a window in the lid, as this would make it easier for the shopping experience. 

Six: 
- Make sure when crafting final pieces to use a bone folder.   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment