Monday 18 February 2013

OUGD404: What is a book week 2.

To Begin this session we were asked to bring in a custom paper size, made by using the fibonacci sequence, however starting with a rectangle, rather than a perfect square. The custom paper size I made was by using the fibonacci sequence, using a rectangle that was longer in width than length. I have printed this custom paper size on a3 and cut it out. 


Using this unique paper size we have made, we began to draw up the cannons van der graaf onto the back of our unique paper size, this is shown in pencil on the diagram. We can use the van der graaf cannon to depict where we can put or margins, this is show in purple pen on my diagram, however here is an example below. 



These red boxes can then be subdivided into boxes in order to justify where the text and images will go. 

I then began to question how practical is it to try and use all these formats in order to create a proportional paper size and layout. I also wandered, how the rule of thirds, which we had learnt previously worked with this new format. 




I began to look at my drawing and saw two points in the centre of the paper that would split the drawing into 3 columns. I then found a further two points below this, on the cannon which would mean the drawing would be split into 3 rows, combining them together It made the rule of thirds grid. This is shown on my drawing in pink highlighter.



I noticed that one of the pink lines I had drew to separate a column ran through the purple box I had created, the measurement from the left line of the purple box, until the pink highlight was 4.5 cm. I found that the remaining measurement from the pink highlight to the right line of the purple box was 9 cm. Divided by two these also measured 4.5 cm. I drew a green highlighted line to spilt the 9cm measurement into 2. This created a further rule of thirds grid inside the purple margined box. 








No comments:

Post a Comment