Thursday 22 November 2012

OUGD403 Design Skills : Letterpress and Lino print workshop.

We visited Leeds college of art campus for foundation degree courses to take part in a printing workshop. Available to try out were Mono printing, Lino Printing and Letterpress. Due to the session being quite short and a high number of students I was only able to complete two of the prints, however the Lino print took a long time to get used to. 

I was very excited to try out the letterpress as it is the process I have been most keen on learning since and before I got to university. However I was slightly disappointed when I got there to learn that we wouldn't be using the printer for the wood block printing instead we would have to apply the force by hand.

I created two pieces using woodblock print, first I experimented with all different letter types and shapes, to create an almost post modernist type piece, detailing the word Halloween.



For my second piece I went to the typeface draws, where there were whole sets of consistent typefaces. I wanted to take a logo and change it slightly. A logo or Brand that is very popular at the moment is 'Leave the boy alone' otherwise known as Boy London whose logo initially says 'BOY' in a gothic font. In order to change the logo subtly by writing BOY in a roman font and adding bars above and below the text.

(http://www.choicestore.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/8/085787002_1.jpg)



I then went on to do the Lino printing which I found took me a while to get used to as it takes a steady hand and so a couple of tiles ended up in the bin. I wanted to experiment with depth and width of line type and so I used a couple of different tools. The actual character, I chose T, I have used s U shaped tool in which the line is wide and deep and the same depth all the way across. I Then used a second tool to create the lines around the letter which had an arrow shaped head to create finer thinner lines.




Reduced prints from less ink.





No comments:

Post a Comment