Friday 9 November 2012

OUGD403 Design Skills: Message and Delivery 2.

Brief

Produce designs for a set of three high impact posters that deliver a personal identified message derived from your research into part one of this brief.

The three posters should work as a set or series and be visually consistent. The first must be produced solely using type, the second solely with image and the third a combination of both type and image.
Background / Considerations

Focus on what you are trying to say and avoid generalisations and vague messages.
Keep it simple and to the point.
Are you making a statement, delivering facts or posing a question?
You should consider and investigate a broad range of possible visual solutions before making your design decisions.
Tone of Voice.
Memorable, immediate high impact and clear.
Challenging, potentially controversial but appropriate and not offensive.
Factual, statistical, informed and specific.

After we had collected research from the first section of the Brief we were asked to gather our opinions on the information we had found.
We then answered a few simple questions in which would help use gather content for our brief. 

What Statement/fact/question are you intending to communicate?
having left my research in a place where I was studying how pets were beneficial to both mental and physical health of humans the statement I decided to communicate was;
Interaction with animals is beneficial to your health.

What is the tone?
-Informative
-Statistical/ facts
- Lighthearted

Who are your audience?
People who don't have pets.
People who read pet/animal magazines.
No particular gender. 
Health magazines?

The first step I took in response to answering these questions was to gather either statistics or facts to work from in my designs. I used information from one of the info graphics I had found during my research which displays the benefit of owning/ adopting a pet.

http://www.infographicsarchive.com/new-infographic/infographic-how-saving-a-pet-might-just-save-your-life/

The two pieces of information I decided to use from this piece were;
'Owning a cat can dramatically reduce a person's chance of dying from heart disease and stroke'.
'15 to 30 minutes with your pet will make you feel less anxious and stressed'.
After finding these two pieces on information I decided to edit them to make them more true to the brief. I did this by shortening them to ensure they were more clear and concise and, to increase the impact. These are the edited versions;
Owning a cat reduces the chance of dying from heart disease or stroke.
30 minutes with your pet will make you feel less stressed.
I used one of these for the Image and text piece and one for the text, I would used the image poster to reiterate the idea of animals used for healing.

The first poster I started to work with was solely type, as this was the primary and strongest source for getting my concept and intentions across. I began developing ideas, sketching down my initial ideas and then developing upon these. 


I worked with different colour, orientation, layout and style, but one thing I knew about all my posters Is that I wanted to produce them all digitally having never worked with illustrator before I started the course I feel like I need to make that time up.
As I had planned for the pieces to be light hearted I tried to stay away from design that would make them too medically involved therefore I will not be developing and of the designs that have too much of a serious direction. This including designs where I have drawn vains or masked the texture of a heart into  the words 'Heart Disease'. i experimented with text size but I found that in the posters where I had used smaller or script fonts were not impacting enough and not quite as memorable as others. I also created a design bottom right, where I had used a calibre of different fonts, however I felt I also lost impact by doing this as it slowed down the reading process. 
The design i thought worked well is one where I filled the whole page with a large and heavy font, which I had edited to create a semantic link with the context of the font. Drawing out a regular sans serif font, heavy weight, i began to add typical features of a cat, implementing whiskers, ears, tails and noses to fit in with the fact 'Owning a cat reduces the chance of dying from Heart Disease or Stroke'. I then looked into colour outline and fill. I decided I wanted to separate the more scientific or main points from the rest of the text through variation with fill and outline. I began to draw up my design in illustrator using a default illustrator font called 'Tondu Beta' a sans serif heavy weight typeface as a base upon which I would edit. When considering colour I chose black and white as I thought together these were always going to be most impacting. I drew out the design I came up with above and then began to fill the type with white. I separated the most important words by just having these in outline with a black fill. I then began to think about how i would keep consistency between each of my posters. my decisions were to use the same type and illustration forms for each poster, then linking them all together via the black background and adding white bars above and below the design to add emphasis and focus.

After creating the first design pictured left, I began to experiment with colour, I had imagined the original design with a alternative type style. I began to edit it so that all the letters were filled with a brown colour, similar or to represent that of a cats fur with a heavy white stroke weight. However as I was developing the design I felt like adding this extra colour took away from the impact and did not improve the design or take it further and so I took the original poster into the crit.

Having already developed my style of type I moved onto the Image and type poster in which I used my second piece of information '30 minutes with your pet will make you feel less stressed.' Again I brainstormed lots of different Ideas and created many designs for this piece. With my typeface already developed I began to think of ideas for Image. I had thought of many visuals based upon activities that you spend doing with pets, Feeding, playing, petting and walking. 



My favourite visual was my design for walking however I wanted to take it further by emphasising the relationship between human and pet. In order to enforce this concept I took away the idea of a dog walking via a lead and instead changed the relationship to embody that of a person walking a child, holding hands. Thus making the experience seem more relaxing and peaceful, which is what the poster is trying to promote. 
I had looked at a lot of character design, as this is what I wanted to focus on for image, something not too visually complex, however I couldn't find anything I wanted to develop from. Instead I drew a quick illustration and scanned this into illustrator which I began to work upon, creating a solid character of a dog, and its owner.




I placed this illustration onto the poster, just concluding of text at this point, However, Its felt that it was lacking atmosphere and context. I looked back upon one of the designers that I had found in my search from character design, Campa from Budapest Hungary who creates a relationship between both illustration and photography in order to create one genuine image undivided by the seperation of media.

 
(http://www.behance.net/gallery/Illustrations/112994)


instead of drawing surroundings in myself I decided to use the same kind of idea implementing photography to create atmosphere. I began to think about where people would walk their dogs, on streets and in parks.
To try and replicate the calmness in the images above I added warming filters to each of the photographs initially adding a picture of a street, I didn't particularly feel using this image promoted relaxation and so I decided to use the photograph I had edited of the park. I lowered the opacity of the photos so that they would not distract from the foreground of the poster and changed them to black and white to comply with the deliverables. Below are my results from these experimentations and my final design which I will take into the crit.

 
(http://www.hoylakejunction.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/alleyway.jpg)                     Edited in Photoshop

(https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgIsrwkm6rU8_PSCv_KjVLlrbhY52D6yxin6odhXoSXWyx3bJBq417pOui-be6Mk3ptp-qJuYRBw6oVUwD2gDIi4iJF3bssclMmvHtHKJPLyGdE6C39lMIslsmGJtChJQTBpSjmwIL8swiJ/s1600/tree_lined_path_wollaton_park.jpg)

Edited in Photoshop.

 
On the street                                                           In the park

 Poster for crit. 

For my third poster consisting of solely image I used my Image and text piece as a stencil. Again as I have done developing designs for the previous two papers I have drawn out and questioned a range of design. 
I attempted a slightly more medical approach creating a design that focused on a persons release of serotonin,  a chemical important to the process of healing and reducing stress and anxiety. However being an impact poster I didn't want to over complicate things too much and so I settled upon a design that represented an over all idea of pets being beneficial to health and healing.





During the process of sketching out designs, I decided to create another animal illustration so there wasn't so much of a visual emphasis on one type of animal. I developed the illustration of the cat using the outline of the dog as a stencil, changing and adding features to suit that of a cat.


I decided to keep the illustration of the person/owner the same to keep coherency.


For my image poster I decided that I didn't want it to focus on another specific factor of the benefits of owning a cat. Instead I wanted it to represent the overall Idea of pets being beneficial to ones health and the healing process. I did this by making simple changes to the above design. I first redesigned the human character to look like he had been injured, I did this by giving him a crutch and simple bandages around his head. I then wanted to make the cat seem like a healer, and being an impact poster I decided that I must show these concepts in the most obvious ways possible. From this point I chose to give the cat attributes of a nurse, as these are one of the most obvious healers. I then furthered my design by adding small hearts to add an additional symbol of love and rehabilitation.
Below is my design so far.  


In order to complete my design i wanted to add an image in the background that would further reiterate or work with to emphasise the illustration in the foreground. Again I tried to think of the most obvious concept, and so I searched for an image of a hospital ward as, this is where most people would consider is the main place where healing takes place. I found an appropriate photo and took this into photoshop where I again changed the colouring to black and white and added a warming filter. I placed this under the illustration and lowered the opacity. Below is the final design I will be taking into the crit.

(http://www.insidegitmo.com/Images/WebReady/Gallery/Gitmo_hospital_ward_big.jpg)

Edited in photoshop.

Final design.


All 3 designs I am taking into the Crit.

  





No comments:

Post a Comment