Sunday 25 November 2012

OUGD404 Design Principles: Anatomy of type part 3 Study task.

After out studio session this week (Anatomy of type - Part 3: Type and character) we were asked to do two small tasks. The first was for the 5 typefaces we had chosen for our partners for a previous study task (Matura MT script, Chalk duster, Apple chancery, Birch STD and ITC Edwardian Script) we were to print them out in their most legible font and point size in the words 'The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.'

Matura MT script from the Matura family by Imre Reiner designed in 1938, was not the most legible font out of the two in it's family, The most legible of the two being Matura. a block unscripted version of its sister. Being a block font I found it was most readable with a larger point size, and so the size it is written in is 80 pt. 

Chalk duster designed by Apple computer inc. in 2008 has solely one font in it's family, and so for this typeface in particular I could only focus on point size. As a more textured gothic font I decided that this font in particular also was most readable on a larger scale, and so I gave it a point size of 84 Pt.

Apple Chancery was another typeface created by Apple computer Inc. And so again there is only one font type/weight) Therefore I will again focus on point size.  Although it is unusual for more script like fonts to be more readable at a small scale, I found that with the lack of ornamentation in this calligraphic font that it was in fact most readable at 18 Pt. 

Birch Std was a roman typeface I selected for my partner to explore into. Again, alike the other typefaces I had selected Birch Std only comes in one font. I discovered as I was finding the most readable point size for this typeface that roman fonts are the font type that are most readable at the smaller scales in comparisons to fonts such as block and script. However being quite a condensed font in contrast to those such as Times new roman regular, this font was also quite heavy and so I have wrote it at 42 Pt.

The last font I chose was a decorative script font called ITC Edwardian script. ITC Edwardian script is also has only one font in its family, and so again I was reduced to only searching for point size. I found whilst looking at most readable point size for this particular font that, Script fonts were in need of some of the biggest point sizes in order to be readable. I give this font the largest scale point size out of my selection of 5 in order to be readable at 90pt.

Continuing on from this we then had a second task which was to find typefaces of certain fonts. With these fonts we were to type them into 10x10 boxes, as large as they would fit inside, in Upper case and Lowercase saying abc.  The fonts we were to choose were a gothic, a roman, a block and a script. I chose the following.

Gothic - Khmer MN



Roman - Prestige elite std.


Block - Black Oak std.



Script - Giddyup















No comments:

Post a Comment