Wednesday 23 October 2013

OUGD504: Design for print - Final concept/ resolution.

After doing some initial development and looking back at my survey results I had a brain wave, the information That I wanted to include in my publication was similar to that of a Recipe book. How to do/ instructions for each process, The amount of time it will take, What materials you will need (ingredients) and a tip for successful print. Therefore, I could do a recipe book for successful print.
After I came up with this simple idea, I began brainstorming, Trying to decipher the content of the book. 



My Final concept Ideas:
- A recipe book that says how a certain type of print is created, how long it takes, what materials you will need, a tip for each process.
- The purpose of the book will be to inform readers of information they may have forgotten, explain what they may have forgotten, educating them on the process in an engaging way. 
- However it could also give an insight/ overview to those who have not tried any of the processes yet, as well as spanning across all courses at LCA that use the print processes. 
- Print processes to include:
I have decided in order to create a well rounded guide that I will include all the print processes i inputted into my survey.
- Screen printing. 
- Lino printing. 
- Digital printing. 
- Letterpress. 
- Lasercut. 
- Lasercut emboss. 
- Foiling
- Mono print.
- Flocking. 
- The tone of voice will be light hearted and instructional. The book does not need to be 100% serious as this is not the first time students will have come by this information. 

Another brain wave I had about the book is instead of just talking about the print processes, do an example of each print process along with the recipe, so that students can see the end result instead of just imagining it. 



The quick sketch above, shows the layout I am allowing, it allows a double side for each recipe allowing those that are longer to have freedom of space within the book, allowing the longer 'recipes' freedom of space. It also means that the example of work gets a full two sides to itself, this means that work such as laser cut, where both sides of the paper will be removed in a pattern, will not disrupt the main recipe pages. 

I feel as though this resolution will be successful as I have a definite audience, I have established my audiences needs and problems that they have with print, and will address them in my final resolution, as well as being able to decipher the right tone of voice for my audiences needs. 

After I had my concept down I wanted to move on and think of a name for my project: A beginners  starters recipe book for print. 



I came up with a few generic ideas:
- First years guide to print. 
- LCA Print recipe book. 
- Newbies guide to LCA print. 
- First years guide to print. 
- The hopeful's book of recipe's for LCA print.

Not pleased with any of these ideas I started to look at other lexis for the word 'beginner', This threw up a variety of words however the word I was most interested in was 'Rookie'. Rookie is a slang word for 'starter' and I found that It flowed well when put with recipe due to the double R. I found that the slang interlinked with the light hearted tone of voice I was aiming to use. 'The Rookie's recipe's for print'.


Moving on from this and looking back at the purpose for my publication, to remind students of how to do certain print processes, I thought that the name needed a slight change to make it obvious to the audience that they were not going to find full detail recipe's within the book. 



Current title: The rookie's recipe's for remembering print.






No comments:

Post a Comment