Wednesday 23 October 2013

OUGD504: Design for print: Studio brief 1 development

Since starting the research for this brief, I have come to collect quite a large range of information. For this reason I decided to start to try developing an idea, or a concept that i could run with. 
I started to do a mind map, questioning all the possibilities I could think of for all elements of the print information pack. 



As I looked back at the mind map I had made, There was one point I had written down that I thought was particularly strong. As I had attended all these print classes, screen print, lino print, embossing, laser cutting etc, I found that even after I had gone to an induction, that I still, went I went back into the print workshops I couldn't remember everything I'd been taught in the inductions we had at the start of first year.  Therefore I thought to myself, why not create a simple publication that could re- iterate what we had learnt in our inductions, but in a more simple sense, that would serve a purpose to remind people of what they had learnt rather than start from new. 

And so I went around my spider diagram and highlighted the ideas that were most appropriate to a publication made to help 1st years or even very forgetful second years in the print rooms. 




Below are the elements that I thought were most appropriate:

- Information will be in a book format. 
- Aimed mainly at 1st years but not forgetting 2nd years. 
- Purpose is aimed to inform, educate, explain and engage the audience. 
- Information inside: How to print, what you need to print, A tip for each process, How long the process will take. 
- A combination of Images and text. 
- The size: Small enough to be able to slip easily into a bag, too small e.g. pocket size may effect the clarity of each section of information. 
- I plan on the book being mostly illustration based, as I am targeting students, whom will have already had an induction, they will not need to see photographs of things you will need, eg. squeegee, but I simple illustration will do the job effectively. 
- For the tone of voice I intend to conduct a survey, and send this to the rest of my class, that will help me to dictate the content, and the tone of voice, which they feel they would learn best from. 

Initial concept summary. 

My initial concept is to create a book that will aid 1st and 2nd years in the print room when they can't remember what they have learnt in the print inductions. The information inside will consist of, simple instructions to remind those reading how to do the print processes, what 'tools' you will need, A top tip (which I have learnt from each process) and how long each process will take. For the content (print processes I will include) and the tone of voice (People will best learn from) I will conduct a survey. 
I think this will be quite a successful concept to work from, As I and others in the 2nd year agreed that we often don't remember how to complete the whole process, and many often feel too intimated to ask some print technicians for help. 


No comments:

Post a Comment