Wednesday 13 November 2013

OUGD504: Design for print - Binding.

Design for print.
Book Binding.


I found a really great website on line that talked though all the different ways in which you could bind a book. 

It says below that the type of binding usually first relies on the function of the book, the biggest piece of advice I got about the bind of my book was based upon this. In one of my feedback sessions I asked my peers what kind of bind, as my audience, they would need from the type of book I am creating. A number of them told me that the prime function they would want from a book of this purpose would be for it to lay flat when open on a table. 
This piece of advice seemed to be very relevant and sensible as when in the print rooms, students constantly have their hands full whether screen printing or foiling, with screens, inks etc. Therefore they do not have the ability to be holding a page open all of the time. From the binding types shown below 3 of these give me the option to be able to lay the book flat, these are; spiral/ coil bound, comb bound/ plastic bound and wire-o bound. The next concern is the amount of pages inside the document, the type of binding you have can depend on the density and number of pages you have in your book. One of the binds I have stated above would require only 2 pages+ to be functional, whereas the other two require 16+. Luckily my book has 18 double sided pages and so any of the above options would be viable for my book.










Another binding option that would also be affordable for my project would be binding rings, These typically work the same as a coil, however they are not attached to one another, and require fewer holes to be made in the design.


The final binding type you can choose for a book that will lay flat is a Coptic bind. When having a coptic bind, the book is seperated into signitures (multiples of 4) and threaded together in a plaited pattern using a strong waxy thread. 





No comments:

Post a Comment