Tuesday 12 November 2013

OUGD504: Design for print: Page format.

Today I began looking at how I would format the information presented on each of my pages. I already have a page size confirmed, and the use of soft focus photography down each size of my pages. However I needed to work out how the information would be presented down my page sizes. 

My page size:



Use of soft focus photography:


I wanted to lay the information out on the pages to make it as easy as possible for the user to understand as possible. For this reason the front page will consist of:
- The name of the print process. 
- The ingredients/ tools needed. 
- Time taken. 
- Location (Which campus the print process can be done at)
- Costs to consider.

The above information on the front page is an overview of things you will need to know before you get to the print room, what you are going to need to bring with you, how much money to bring for the costs you may incur, where to go and how long you will be doing the process for.

Where as the other information such as, instructions of how to do the process, and a tip will need to be constantly looked at, therefore it would be best to have all this information on the same page instead of flicking back and forth between pages. Having this information on one page with increase ease of use for the user and ensure minimal ink/paint transfer by not having to constantly touch the pages to turn them. Below is the information laid out on two pages ( will be one double sided). 

Next I looked at how the information will appear on these pages:
I drew up a couple of sketches, one with use of single columns aligned left:

and the other in which multiple columns were in use and information was flushed to a central pivot:


I feel that the second layout will be more beneficial for my audience, as the multiple columns will increase reading efficiency by shortening the lines, and due to the photographic border, there is already a focus on the centre, therefore flushing my content to the centre of the page will ensure the page format appears balanced, and produces more of a flow.  

I found when looking at my layouts, to introduce a further sense of consistency the page could be split down into the rule of thirds, and furthermore into smaller grids, this will ensure that my book looks pulled together and structured in the midst of different print process. 





No comments:

Post a Comment