Tuesday 12 November 2013

OUGD504: Design for print: Facts about print.

As my concept is to create a recipe book for print that both gives a recipe and shows an example of print, in the form of a typographic poster, which in itself tells a fact of print. I decided to start researching facts about the print processes, below are the outcomes of this research. 

Example:

Below is a typographic poster that has been screen printed by a designer. Imagine this being next to the recipe page. However the text will be a fact/quote about the print process that reflects the recipe on the left.



Below is an example of the page layout when the book is laid flat, The diagram shows the sequence of pages, and how one flows to the next. 



Screen print:

Best for small runs, large format, fabrics and 3d objects. 

Lino print:

One of the easiest and most direct printmaking methods.

Foiling:

Effect cannot be achieved in traditional ink printing. 

Flocking:

Makes design tactile. 

Lasercutting: 

Saves you from cutting your hands with a scalpel. 

Embossing:

Not easily visible. 

Monoprint:

The beauty is in its spontineity - no two prints are alike. 

Letterpress:

No longer economically significant within the printing market. 

NOTE: Unfortunately the letterpress is out of use at both LCA campus' and cannot be used until after christmas, for this reason I am not able to construct an accurate range of instructions/ information about the print process as LCA, as I am not able to learn and reaquaint myself with the process. Therefore I will no longer be including this print process in my recipe book. 

I also do not have the references available for the quotes I found above. I had these saved in the notes on my old macbook book. However this became liquid damaged and I can therefore not use the macbook and had to get a new one. I tried to go back into the hard drive to find the sources, but I could not get into it.  










No comments:

Post a Comment