Wednesday 1 January 2014

OUGD504: Design for print & web/ studio brief 3 - Pattern/packaging design.

The next element of the design which I got to work on digitising was the print concept I had previously roughly drawn up, in which I planned to create a pattern that encorporated illustrations of foods sold at the cantine, solely made up of pieces of typography or punctuation. This would be printed onto paper which would get wrapped around food items such as sandwhiches.  



I started to experiment below:

I found that once I got more comfotable with using the characters to biuld up images, the easier the construction got. At first I had some hesitation that the idea would not work, However I think it worked very successfully.
The only negative I found about the start of the development was the choice of font I made when I began to design each image. the font that I chose looks quite uneven in weight as some of the characters are heavier than others. Changing this might allow the images to look more consistent. 






I also wanted to change the font due to the shape of the full stops. On this front that I had chosen to experiment with the full stops were a square shape. However in the logo they are rounded, changing these to match the logo will allow for better brand consistency.



Here is the new set of chraracters that I put together, I feel as though these characters are much more consistent with one another, and also in keeping with the logo. 



After I created these characters, I went into indesign and made a 6x5 grid which I placed them into, in a random order. Placing the logo in the grid as well, I then alternated the colour of the characters between black and red. Once i had done this I placed a texture underneath the print that would be the same as what I am planning to screen print the design onto. 





I want to screen print this design across different media, across paper cups for hot drinks, wrappers that will go around sandwiches and the boxes which will hold the food which cannot be wrapped as shown below. Having the same pattern across all media will allow for brand consistency. 

 I would like to produce my boxes alike to those of Chinese take away boxes. This will allow me to purchase them in a similar colour to the take away bags I have bought and the brown craft paper I am printing my wrappers and cup covers on. Chinese take away boxes are also made from waxed cardboard which allows the card to repel moisture and stay waterproof. This is very convenient for my food packaging as many of the dishes are water based (with sauces etc) and therefore this would give the design the ability to be in form with the rest of the branding yet functional as well.  Information source.









No comments:

Post a Comment