Monday 19 May 2014

OUGD505: Yankee candle - Constructing packaging.

YANKEE CANDLE.
PACKAGING CONSTRUCTION. 

Today I spent the full day constructing all 8 boxes in my collection.
To construct the boxes I had to cut out all 16 body sections, and all 16 lid sections from the a2 sheets they were printed on. I had to cut these carefully as my boxes were made to slot together, If I didn't cut the boxes properly, there was a chance that they would not slot together properly. Once I had managed to cut all of these out I started construction with the inside layer of the body of the box seen below.



I scored all of the lines on the net, to make the unique hexagon shape form. 



I then glued the tabs of this net together to form the hexagon box which would make up the inside layer (shown in blue) on the CAD diagram. 



I then moved on to construct the inside layer of the lid, scoring the lines again, folding with a bone folder and gluing the small tabs together. 





This would sometimes require crocodile clips to hold in place as the tabs were so small. 



Now that the inside layer was done I moved onto the outside. Here I had to measure out and draw the lines where the card would need to be scored. For help with measurements I referred by to my development and CAD diagrams. 
I measured 53mm wide sections for the small pillar boxes, and 55mm panels for the tea light boxes. 



Once I had drawn these out I scored the lines, and folded the sections with a bone folder.



I then, again, glued the tabs together completing the outside layer of the box. 
I then slipped the inside layer into this, which due to my precise measurements fitted in snug, as I had wanted. 



The last part of the box I had to construct was the outside layer of the lid, which I cut, folded and glued into place. 



I was then able to again, slot the outside layer in inside layer together in a snug fit. 





With both the body and lid section now completed I was able to slot the two sections together as wanted. 



I then repeated the process with the remaining 7 boxes. 







All of the 8 boxes cut, folded and glued together. 






No comments:

Post a Comment