Sunday 18 May 2014

OUGD505: Yankee candle - Label design.

YANKEE CANDLE. 
LABEL DESIGN. 

I also wanted to create some labels that could be put onto the small pillar jars. Candles made at Yankee candle, bot only sometimes reference the flavour of the candle on the outside box, but also on a clear label placed on the outside of the jar. 








I realised that although these stickers are clear vinyl stickers, they still have the bright white colour within the sticker that I would not be able to emulate on a vinyl sticker as I cannot print white ink. Therefore It was suggested that I should print my stickers in two layers, printing the centre piece (Image and frgrance/ name of candle) on which paper as a matter sticker, then apply the vinyl sticker with the Yankee candle aromatherapy logo over the top, This way I will be able to keep the shiny feel of the labels, which is prominent on current Yankee candle jars.

In terms of design, I wanted to create a mix between the labels seen on traditional Yankee candle jars such as above, and blend this with the labels I created for the boxes. 


Before I began designing, I took the measurements of the sticker on my small pillar candle so that I would be able to create my stickers exactly in line with the already in circuit/use Yankee candle branding. 

Measurements: 
Clear vinyl sticker - height = 55mm - width = 70mm
Matte white sticker - height = 38mm - width = 60mm

 I started by creating the bottom layer that would be printed as a matte sticker on white paper. It is a normal thing for Yankee Candle to use a photograph of the ingredients/fragrances inside the candle. However I am not able to collect and buy all of the scents used in the candles I have designed for and therefore I will be taking a different approach.  
Instead I will be placing this photograph, with a small image of the landscape/sky I created for each candle, Yankee candle have done this previously in candles such as pink sands and black coconut.





The idea I have is to take the image of my painting, and underneath this place the coloured strip seen on the boxes I designed for each of the candles, such as the lilac strip seen on the Memories of Joy candle seen below.



I started with the Slow Down candle. First I cropped down the image of the painting of the beach I had done so that It would fir onto the label, and not only this, that the most prominent parts of the image were included, some sand, some water and some sky. 

I then placed the name of the candle underneath the image as seen on all other Yankee Candle jars. 



I then placed another box around this in the size of the vinyl sticker as a Boundary as to how big I could go with the Yankee candle Aromatherapy spa logo. Unfortunately I am not able to do the logo in white as seen above on the black coconut candle - which would work better on Darker candles as you would not be able to see the black, however I am not able to find the facilities to print stickers with white ink, and so for reference I will print all the stickers with the logo on black. 


Which I then placed inside the box.

I will continue to do this with the other three fragrances in the collection. 





I have separated the vinyl and matte sticker designs so that they can be printed separately. 





2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah! Nice job on the label designs. I particularly love the "Silent Slumber" design (purple is my favorite color). I just wanted to drop you a line because I noticed that you said you would need to have two stickers (clear vinyl and matte white). Have you considered clear film labels instead? It wouldn't require you to get a matte white sticker because it can be underprinted with white ink. It'll probably be a more cost-effective option than buying two labels. Plus you wouldn't have to apply two layers to the jar and make sure they line up correctly. Here's a video that shows what I'm talking about: http://www.consolidatedlabel.com/label-articles/white-underprinting/. I look forward to seeing more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you are getting this can you email me at jenniferlcarter@comcast.net I have some ideas to run by you

    ReplyDelete