Saturday 10 May 2014

OUGD505: Yankee candle Packaging.

Yankee candle packaging. 
Illustrations for packaging. 

Today I want to start working on the packaging illustrations for my boxes. Since the crit I have decided as suggested to hand render illustrations for the packaging myself, instead of using a digital program or pulling images from anywhere else. It was further suggested that I consider painting the illustrations, I think this is a good idea, and appropriate for my audience as this is a premium candle brand, and art is usually known in society to be owned by those with a more high-flown background. Such as those whom don't mind spending a bit of extra money for quality over quantity. 




In terms of painting, I tend to work in more of an impressionist much like Monet or William turner, with quite abstract mark making, but all scenes are still very much distinguishable. 

Monet:







Turner:





I looked back at the list of landscape ideas I had created and the advice I had from the crit. The scenes that I would have to paint and produce are:

- A sunrise for the kindled spirit candle. 
- A night sky for the silent slumber candle. 
- A Beach scene for the Slow down candle. 
- A field of spring flowers for Memories of joy. (As suggested in crit)

The first painting I began with was the night sky, I had pictured this to be quite a dark painting, with a great mix of strong blues and purples, however hints of colour such as red and orange, as if the sun was just going down. I pulled a few images together as inspiration for the piece:






I was mostly inspired by the last image, as I felt the colour pallet in this was incomparable to any other I had seen. The image had a clear aesthetic of the night sky, but was also still bright and positive. 
As I paint in an expressionist style with an aesthetic most similar to Monet, instead of drawing out the piece first, I went straight in with my paintbrush, and began filling in the darker tones, followed by the mid, and then the highlights. 





11/05/2014
Yankee candle packaging. 
Illustrations for packaging. 


Today I started on the next painting, the beach scene for slow down. It was important to consider when painting the texture for this piece that I were to work in a similar style. As all the illustrations for each box are entirely different, it is important that I keep the style consistent. Therefore I will again be working in an impressionist style. 



I looked for beach images that I felt would fit the tone of the candle, mostly images of a calming shore, waves lapping against the shore, something to insinuate calm and rest. 






I looked at a mix of both images and paintings for this piece as I struggled to figure out how I would paint the idea of the ocean lapping against the sand. For this reason I was most inspired by the impressionist painting (3rd image down) of the beach, Although the water has some movement it appears somewhat still, just as the sky over it. 

I painted the image in layers beginning with the sand, then the sea and lastly the sky. 



I was very happy with the way in which the paintings were going so far, I felt that when applied to the packaging they would give off a great premium feel, and the hand crafted element of painting made them feel even more special. 


12/05/2014
Yankee candle packaging. 
Illustrations for packaging. 

Today I began working on the next Yankee candle painting, more specifically the sunrise painting which would grace the front of the kindled spirit candle, created to boost energy. This is exactly why I chose the visual of a sunrise sky, as it mirrors the idea of energy with bright combinations of firey red, orange and yellow. 

For this piece there was solely one impressionist piece that inspired me to create my design:


It was the vibrancy of the bottom half that caught my eye, and was a visual that I really thought would help boost spirits, not just by the scent of the candle but by the look of the packaging. 
Again as previous I began with the low lights, then mid tones, and adding in the highlights at the end. 



As I was getting more of a hang on painting again as I hadn't done it in so long, I was able to move onto the last painting in the same day. 

The last candle I needed to create a painting for was Memories of Joy. For this specific pieve of packging I followed the advice as suggested by one of my peers, by creating a paiting with a nod to sprint and a field of flowers, I was creating an idea with sybolism of new life, and new begginings. 
I had previously thought about doing a painting solely based upon daffodils however I wanted to incorporate more than one prominent colour into the painting. 



I was inspired for this painting, not by a blue sky, but by a traditional spring one in which the sky is changing from grey to blue. This would be a great contrast to the field of flowers below it which I will create using only impressionist mark making. 










No comments:

Post a Comment