Sunday 18 May 2014

OUGD505: Yankee candle - Packaging extra details.

YANKEE CANDLE.
PACKAGING / EXTRA DETAILS.


Although I was very happy with the printed nets of my boxes, and how the paintings transferred to being digital images, I had an idea that would take the project further. My new idea was to add some extra details to the packaging via foiling. Foiling is a material I would only use on a premium brand, which is exactly what Yankee candle is. 

The idea would be to take the packaging nets, and pick small features and accentuate these, and also add new features to the packaging via the technique of foiling. I also thought that picking and adding small features and fashioning them in an illustrative way would help to sell the candle range to the lower end of Yankee candles age bracket such as the 20's. I had also talked about the range of Yankee candle's being something that someone may give a worn out family member or friend as a gift, and therefore adding the foil details would make the package appear more special and present like. 

The idea came to me when looking at my night sky piece, and imagining how much more exclusive the packaging would look if it still used the same night sky painting texture, however if there were some kind of foiled stars on top.

I tried drawing some foiled stars over the top of the net on illustrator to see how this design would work out:




I really liked how the inclusion of these details not only made the box appear more gift like, but also helped them to appear more in tune with a modern market, as painting is very traditional. I applied the same design to the net, however this time in a pale grey, as in connection with the heavy blues/purple tones on the box, I thought this would match the best. 




The next net I designed foil details for was Memories of Joy. The memories of joy box features a flowery field and spring sky. My idea for this box was to add some foil flowers to the field and add some small birds into the sky.


When considering colours I did think that again silver would work, with the colder tones of the sky, however I wanted to pick a colour that would slightly contrast this. I had worked with a very nice champayne/ cream coloured foil before, that I thought would be a nice subtle contrast. This would also bring the yellow tones of the flower bed up into the sky.



I prepared these designs to put them on a foiling screen:






Next I moved onto the beach design for the slow down candle. This was the one I was most excited about as it allowed me to be more experimental with the small details. I picked out bits such as ripples in the waves, the spray from the sea hitting the sand, and also added a couple of shells onto the sand. Due to the heavy use of blue I also thought that these details would look best if completed in silver.



The last box to add foil details onto was the Kindled spirit candle, on which a sunrise was pictured. As this was the most plain and least detailed out of the four paintings I had to be careful with what I chose to do. I decided to re-use of the simple motifs which I used on the memories of joy box, the symbols of birds gliding in the sky. 


I thought that gold would be the best colour of foil to use for this combination, as the box solely relied on colours with warm tones. I felt that a colour such as copper would get lost within all the shades of orange and red, and therefore gold seemed like my best bit. 


I prepared the artwork for the Slow down (beach) candle and Kindled spirit (Sunrise) candle, ready for exposing onto a screen. 




The process:

I created the foil details via the screen process, in which I exposed the above patterns onto a mesh screen and pushed flock glue the screen with a squeegee. I then applied the colour foil which I had recommended previously for each box, to the glue and placed this into a heat press for 12 seconds and left the foil to cool before peeling it away. 
















  

No comments:

Post a Comment