Saturday 17 May 2014

OUGD505: Yankee candle - Other elements.

Yankee candle. 
Other elements. 

Today I started on the accompanying elements that I wanted to create for the new candle range such as, in store promotion in the form of posters, Online promotion such as web banners, and Labels to be placed onto the front of the small pillar jars. I also considered mocking up some billboard designs.  



I started with sketching up ideas for the posters. The posters would act as a promotional tool, which can be used in store to sell the product, or even be used as far as other locations such as a bus shelter. 


I came up with the idea below:



The Branding for Yankee candle is very true to life, and when promoting any products, only photography is used to represent its products. Therefore, in order to promote the new range of Aromatherapy candles I will need to take photographs of my packaging when constructed. 

The promotional title comes from one of the other naming ideas I originally had for the collection 'Yankee candle: Burned out'. Burned out symbolises the idea that for one to become rejuvinated again they must have a pick me up, in order to 'relight'. The pick me up in this case is the candle.' 
Below this we are given a description of the types of issues and ailments that the candles can help to alleviate. 
Separating this from more information about the candle is the photograph of all four candles in the collection together. 
The remaining information below talks about each candle fragrance separately and its affects, followed by the logo underneath. 










I did another poster designs which addressed a couple of issues I had with the first. I felt that there was just too much information on the poster for a piece of promotion, meant to grab peoples attention. For this reason I totally eliminated the bottom paragraph from the design. This information, or type of information can be found on the back of the box of each candle. I felt that getting rid of this unnecessary information would lead people to be more inclined to read the shorter text. 


Another thing I had noticed with Yankee candle is that all other promotion tends to have the products in context. Meaning photographed in use, Photographed with the fragrances inside the candles.










Therefore for the more improved poster design, I have decided to purchase as many ingredients as I can that are in the fragrances of the candles I have created, and place these in the photographs of the candles, to make them appear more 'in context.'

I also thought that the poster design could be interchanged and useable for the single fragrances by themselves. Above, I have used the slow down candle as in example. In this design i have interchanged the information about the collection, for the information about this particular candle which is seen on the back of its box. The photograph is then taken away and replaced by a photo of this candle/box by itself, or both the tea light and small pillar box together. 

This design can be altered for all 4 fragrances from the collection, Memories of Joy, kindled spirit, Silent slumber and Slow down by altering the information paragraph and changing the photo. The colour scheme of the poster could also be changed to suit the fragrance/ aesthetic of the candle being promoted. 

I began digitalising the idea for the poster that promotes the collection as a whole. Obviously as I have not yet foiled the packaging, I cannot take photos until monday, however I will design the structure of the posters and add the photos at a later date. 

I will be using the same fonts used on my packaging for consistency, which are also the two fonts used across the Yankee candle brand. 



Above is the structure for the initial poster. The cream box represents How the photos I take will be full bleed, whilst the image placement box represents where the main section (views of the candles) will be in reference to the other elements on the page. 

I changed the original design slightly by adding red banners to the top and the bottom of the page in order to balance them out. I used Book antiqua (serif font) for main areas of text as this is the main typeface used by Yankee Candle, followed by Halo hand letter (Script) for friendly accents. I have used red and burgandy as a default colour as this is a colour used frequently by Yankee candle. 







Once I have taken the pictures of my candle packaging, I will then input these into the posters.


With a prominent aesthetic already in place for promotional material I began to construct what some web banners could look like. I looked at the already existing promotional Banners on the Yankee candle homepage. 




The Banners are usually formatted with an Image of the candle collection on the right, and a catch phrase on the left. Unfortunately I am not able to input the images as I have not taken the photographs yet. Nonetheless like I did with the posters I have built a structure using the information and aesthetic I already had from previous promotional material. 



A preview of what my web banner would look like online:


Today I took pictures of my packaging as I finished cutting, folding and gluing all of the boxes. I began taking pictures as I had described on my poster designs, however no that I had finished constructing my boxes and seen how elegant the outcome was I didn't feel that the idea i had to surround the candles with the fruit/food ingredients would be viable as this would cheapen the candle packaging. Instead I took pictures of the candle packaging by itself and with a lit Yankee candle for a more in context/in use picture.
The pictures I took were quite dark and so I play around with them in photoshop.
I then took the photograph and matched the background to the a3 art box by colour picking colours from the area surrounding the candle and painting this onto the art box. I then used the Gaussium blur tool so all the colours faded into each other. 
Now that the photos were edited I dropped them into the structures of the posters I had already made. 






I used the same Image as above to place into my web banner:















No comments:

Post a Comment