Wednesday 4 December 2013

OUGD504: Studio brief 2/ Design for web - crits.

initial sketches for home page and feedback.

For the first web session with Simon we were asked to bring in 3 different home page scamp designs, and then pick the one which we thought was most appropriate and were mostly likely to use for our websites. 

My initial 3 designs:








The final design I picked for my website:





After we picked this scamp, we were asked to leave it on the desk, look at each others work and give feedback. The feedback I received for my final scamp was:

- Very clear, detailed scamps.
- (In reference to one of the earlier scamps) The navigation bar with both text and illustration is interesting and unusual. 
- Very informative scamp - maybe slightly too busy as it looks quite cluttered. 
- Nav bar could have drop down menus?
- Very detailed, a little bit cluttered. 
- Extremely well thought out, but may seem a bit too much. 
- Very detailed, good range of designs, for future, maybe limit how much stuff you put on a scamp. Worth having some white space rather than filling it all.

Here Is the general set up of what the page would have looked like without analysis:



It can be seen without the analysis that the page design is actually very simple and clean, and so for the next crit I plan to take a copy of this with me to make sure that this comes across. 


After reading through this feedback, I came to realise that the problems weren't within the design itself, but, how I had presented my designs. On my scamp, I have not only drawn a detailed image of a index page, complete with possible images etc, I had also annotated the page as well. Meaning that my web design, which was actually very simple and clean, looked very busy and cluttered. For future reference when designing scamps, I will endeavour to put the design in the middle of the page, and any annotations I have around the edges, so that these notes do not get confused as being part of the design. 
As for drop down menus, I do not feel like there is so much content that this would be necessary, this also plays on the fact that we are designing a 5 page website, which is already out of my comfort zone with having never coded before, and so adding drop down menus would initiate a lot more pages. 

For the next crit I took my original design, the above frame work, a list of possible pages and a site map. 
Below are the possible pages and site map:




From this crit the feedback I gained was:
- Interesting clean design. 
- Very ambitious for a first website. 
- Looks modern, clean and suitable for the product.
- Can't tell if its selling it, or if its promoting, just its to do with froyo. 
- Is it not similar to their own website? How can you differ from this?
- Does this website sell the products?
- Clear easy navigation. 

From the feedback that I got this time I found that business/clutter was not a problem for my page design as there was no further comments regarding this. One problem that people were now having was regarding the content, Is the site going to promote the product or sell it? Well as this is a frozen product, and therefore very difficult to sell online, The purpose is to promote Frurt, as it is not just a product, but a place to visit, much like starbucks or barburrito. However, this problem, was not much to do with my web design but the fact that there was no content behind the interface designs. 

Therefore I decided to cement a list of content which I would apply to the pages of my site:

About us:
- The frurt way of life (what makes frurt different to the rest)?
- Catering
- Franchising. 

Health benefits:
- Whats in your frurt yoghurt?
- Frurt .vs. Regular ice cream
- Why frurt?

Menu:
- Special edition flavour. 
- Yoghurt flavours and toppings. 
- Other editions on the menu. 

Contact us:
- Find a store. 
- Map.
- Contact form.   

This way for the next crit, my peers could really understand the context of the site, rather than solely the aesthetic. Now that I had concreted the content for each of my pages, all of which can be seen in my summer research, as well as further online research posts and a research visit, I began to start designing this content into pages, so that next time at the crit my peers could further understand the content/purpose of my website. 



No comments:

Post a Comment