Thursday 12 December 2013

OUGD504: Studio brief 3/ Print and web - Dissecting the brief.

Today we did a class that allowed us to break our briefs down so that we could really understand the ins and outs of the Brief we had chosen. 

We narrowed our brief choice down from 3, which we had initially picked based upon interest. However we noticed that once we looked more closely at the briefs, that some were written in a very vague way. Therefore I chose my final brief as it was more specific than the other briefs I had chosen.

Initial 3 briefs:
-The train standing at platform two.
- On yer bike.
- 73rpm - mp3.

The final brief that I chose to work with was On yer bike, I found that this brief was specific enough to give me some structure, but also gave me enough free reign to be creative. Below is the brief I chose:

5 problems the brief proposes:
- There is not a system for cyclists to easily navigate around cities.
- Cyclists are not able to read maps whilst cycling. 
- Current street signs only cater to people driving motor vehicles. 
- There are no electronic devices to satisfy the needs of the city cyclist. 
- There is no way to tell what is an interesting, safe and short route.

Why do you want to solve these problems?
- Easier navigation makes for a more enjoyable and efficient journey. 
- Correct navigation proves for safer roads. 
- More people may be swayed to travel their own streets through cycling, which will decrease our carbon footprint. 
- Get people back in touch with their surroundings as we spend so much time rushing to get to places in cars and trains.

5 Facts about your subject and content:
-Renting bicycles is becoming a more popular travel option for people moving around the city. 
- Using a bike is cheaper than taxis/metro. 
- Riding a bike means unlimited mileage. 
- No carbon footprint from using bikes. 
- The outcome needs to be a wayfinding system.
- Needs to be appropriate for both residents and visitors.
- Need to find out about how visitors travel around cities. 
- Needs to be information materials and promotion.

5 facts about the audience:
- They live in cities.
- They are visiting cities. 
- They already cycle. 
- They are looking to travel around the city via bicycle.
- They have spare time to travel via a slower option. 
- They live a green lifestyle or want to pursue one. 
- They want to see the city on their travels and enjoy the journey not just reach the destination. 
- They need a navigation system that improves city travel.
- People who have less money to dispose on travel than others.

5 Things you want to communicate:
- How to get around the city on a bike. 
- Enjoy the city you live in. 
- Short routes, time scales. 
- Cost of cycling .vs. driving. 
- Effect of cycling on the environment. 

5 things I don't know about this brief:
- What city is this taking place in. 
- What language do these people speak if the outcome has to be essentially typographic. 
-  Is it supposed to be an international project to fit into any culture/language. 
- What is the appropraite media? Electronic/paper based. 
- Residents and visitors are two totally different audiences with opposing priorities when travelling within the city. 
- How do you make this system appropriate for a wide appropriate for any age. 

However, after doing this workshop, I came to realise that doing a wayfinding system would be way outside of my comfort zone. Nor, did I know anything about cycling, and so instead of making it difficult for myself, doing a brief that I wasn't even a little comfortable with. I decided now would be a good time to go back to the selection of briefs, and choose one where I could develop in an area of graphic design that I was interested in. 

New brief selection:

The Brief that I have chosen to work with instead is the 'Mutton quad' brief, After reading the briefs I picked this one because, I have often found branding quite difficult, as it needs a great deal of understanding of the company, to create something appropriate. This is something I would like to practice and improve at, and so branding a restaurant for my brief would be a great solution for this. I have also had an interest in packaging design which I have not had the possibility to do yet, this could also arise in this brief.

The brief:

With this new brief selection I decided to go ahead and re-answer all the current questions according to this brief. 







No comments:

Post a Comment