Monday 30 December 2013

OUGD504: Design for print and web/ Studio brief 3 - Concept.

Today I began working on the concept of my typography theme restaurant. I drew up a spirder diagram in which I wrote down every word I could think of to do with typography. 

The phrase I found that stood out and inspired me the most was 'full stop' To mean the end of a sentence in the english language I thought that the phrase also played reference to the idea of feeling 'full' from food and 'stopping' off for something to eat. Therefore it would be a restaurant where you would simply stop and get full.

I then began to think about who the customers of this restaurant could be? I had considered making an eating place that could be seen as a deli where students could go for lunches, however after thinking a bit further I came up with the idea of a restaurant in an airport. It further played on the idea of stopping off somewhere, much like airports are often a stop off location on many peoples travels. 

Inspired by the concept of travel I started to consider the type of menu I could have availiable for the customers. I decided to create a menu that would incorporate food from a variety of places in the world; England, Mexico, Germany, Spain and Italy, thinking of both small dishes for people with little time/hunger to eat and larger meals for those with longer time to eat. 

Below is the menu I came up with: 

English food:

- Leek and potato soup. (v)
- Beef, yorkshire pudding and gravy wrap. 
- Fish and chip butty topped with a zingy tartar sauce. 
- Ploughmans sandwhich.
- Vegetable stew with herb dumplings (v)

Mexican food: 

- Nachos with cheese, salsa, guacamole and sour cream dip. (v)
- Chicken burrito.
- The torta sandwhich.
- Roast vegetable empanadas.

Italian food:

- Cheesy garlic bread.
- Calzone. 
- Italian sub. 
- Chicken, pesto, tomato pasta. 
- Goats cheese and honey and rocket pizza bread (v)

German food:

- German sausage with a cheese centre in a white toasted baguette.
- Doner kebab.
- Spicy pork and sauerkraut sandwhich.
- Kasespatzle - noodles ellemental with cheese and fried onions. (v)

Spanish food:

- Chicken and chorizo paella. 
- Spanish tortilla. (v)
- Cidre soaked chorizo and manchego cheese baguette. 
- Toasted halved tomato and olive baguette. (v)

Puddings/ Pastries:

- Jam and clotted cream scone. 
- Churros and chocolate dip. 
- Strawberry macaroons. 
- Apple Strudel. 
- Orange and almond cake.  






Once I had come up with a menu I started to think of the setup of my restaurant/deli. I wanted the food to seem quite quickly prepared and distributed, not particularly like fast food but like that of street food, which you would pick up from a number of market stalls, in boxes and take away bags. Thinking about this I began to sketch up a number of possible ideas:

The ideas that I thought of played with both my themes of typography and travel, one idea I thought of was how to design the sticky labels for any food that I would be distributing. The kind of information that I wanted to display on these was details such as; the name of the food, what country out of the 5 I had selected it had come from, the price, the best before date (relevant for foods such as sandwhiches/wraps) etc. The design that I came up with for this information, was like a replica of a small flight ticket.

The next idea I thought of was to take brown paper bags, which any food ordered would be placed into, and stamp these bags, much like peoples passports are stamped at an airport when travelling passed borders, with the country that their food is from, fabricating the idea that they have travelled before they have even stepped foot onto the plane. 

I also came up with an idea that concerned manipulating typography to create images. Below I thought about creating a print which I could put across packaging, inspired by the patterns I had previously seen in my deli research (context blog). The print is made up of a number of images of food all constructed from pieces of type or puncutation etc.

Before I went any further with design I made a list of what printed material I wanted to produce:

-Business card. 
-Menu.
- Packaging:
  Food boxes.
  Sandwhich/wrap wrappers.
  Cups (hot and cold drinks).
  Sticker labels.
- Apron. 
- Napkins.
- Super impose rest of uniforms.
- Propose sinagage. 
- Propose intertior design. 


Concept:

Full stop. 
International canteen.

An international Canteen in which people travelling through U.K airports can visit and enjoy eating filling food, from a range of countries in a casual dining experience. 

Travellers can enjoy both hold and cold, starters (small plates), main courses, and desserts from England, Germany, Mexico, Spain and Italy. Like other food establishments such as Nando's users of the restaurant are able to come in and sit at benches (casual dining) look at menus and then visit the till point where they both order and pay for their food at this point. (Airport eateries often get very busy and so this is the most efficient way to police payment). Customers only have to wait a short amount of time before they are served there food due to a select range of hot dishes, and a number of cold which would be pre made. 

Staff then deliver food to the tables in insulated boxes/wrappers/brown bags to that the customer can enjoy their food inside the canteen at the benches, or if they have ordered food which they would like to take elsewhere such as a sandwhich and pastry, can easily be transported.

Next I will move on to coming up with a logo design.   

     


No comments:

Post a Comment